Thursday, September 30, 2010

Elementary School Library Book

I'm going to state off the rip, I do not have a problem with homosexuality and if you know me you know I'm pretty open about being Bi Sexual... With that being said here I go.

My son brought home a book today from school, as he does every day. First glance of the book, in a not so well lit part of my living room, it looked like a book with a dark red trim around it and two bunny's on the cover. Nothing crazy. Well as I sat down with my 4 year old boy to read it to him I noticed the title of it, "Ruby's Beauty Shop". Already I was hesitant about reading it to him, after all it's a girl book... Upon him insisting that I do because it's cute and has "bunnies" on the cover that go "hop hop hop"... I opened it up and began. I read the first few pages, and at first it was alright. Then I got to the part where Ruby and her female friend pull out make up and wigs, and then tell Max (obviously a boy) that he is their first "customer"... I put the book down then and made Dominik choose something out of his own collection.

Now from my stand point... I don't believe it's right for schools to allow such books, and then allow for young boys to check them out. Now being a male/female marriage my husband and I have decided to not teach our son about being homosexual or transgendered... I mean he's only four.

I'm just curious, what some others opinions may be on the issue. I mean we're taught from a young age that boys don't wear dresses or make up, so naturally seeing it in a book that is geared towards elementary school aged children bothers me.

I'm open to opinions on the matter. I'm seriously curious as to others view points. I just ask that you not be vulgar in any fashion. Keep it clean. Feel free to comment here, via Facebook message, or even email! [mrs.ghiroli05@gmail.com]

Opinions, GO!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Zandra, I dont personally see anything wrong with the book or the school for letting him check it out. I'd be more concerned if the school would tell my child that they can't check out the book of their choice because it's only a "girl book" or "boy book"..or whatever. Coming from a background of 6+ years in childcare I know little boys that have played dress up and walked around the classroom in high heels; it doesnt mean they're going to be gay or drag queens. Theyre 2, 3, 4 years old. They don't understand any of that theyre just using their imagination like any other child. Just like if a child plays with babydolls, this is seen to be something only a girl would play with but really its acctually healthy and good for boys to learn to be nurturing and caring down other things. I think setting restrictions on what our child can read about or what they can do is just promoting the close mindedness that we have too much of in this world..no child book is going to acctually talk about gays or transgenderness..etc unless your acctually looking at a book store to educate a child that has two moms or something like that, there are resources for that. The max and ruby book is not promoting boys to put make up on, in the max and ruby series which kylie watching alot max always end up being whatever they need them to cause he's the little brother. I think you could read the story to him and make a joke of instead of bringing attention to the situation in a negative way. Be like "look at Max, he's so silly wearing make up! Do boys wear make up? no..that is so silly of max!"

    This is just my opinion but I'm not saying that we should discuss people being gay or whatever but I think it's completely healthy and reasonable for children to know that's some people are different from us, and that's okay. Differences to them at this age would not be so literal though, they wouldn't notice sexual orientation till much later, but more like races or disabilities. I think we have too much hate and ignorance already and it's important for our children to learn to be accepting towards anybody no matter how different. :)

    <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Ashlie I have to disagree with you. First off it's not about limiting or restricting the books in which he is allowed to take out. It is about providing some guidance, the school system should take into consideration what the parents of the child want before offering such a book.

    Myself and my brother have never played dress up with our sister, and I am not saying that it will turn him gay. I am saying that I prefer my son doesn't read a book that condones cross dressing. And that is my right as his parent. You can put a spin on it saying things like "Oh max is silly your not supposed to do that." but if the book depicted a kid smoking or drinking what would your thoughts on that be? "Oh look at Max, you're not supposed to get drunk and piss on the floor are you? He is so silly", I doubt it. Now I am not saying they are the same thing but they are similar all of these things are adult situations and to me don't belong in a children's book. I don't ever remember Clifford the big read dog trying to fuck the poodle down the street in any of those books, nor the Berenstain Bears getting a DUI.

    And boys do not learn to be nurturing and caring from playing with dolls...it's this attitude that has taken dodge ball outta schools and competition out of children's sports. Babying and coddling children is doing more harm then good, teaching kids about cross dressing instead of teaching them to deal with disappointment and the let down s they will face as young adults is mind boggling to me. And people wonder why kids are committing suicide in record numbers. Because we are taking away the coping skills learned at a young as through competition. The first set back in life an they slit their wrists because they don't know how to pick themselves up and dust themselves off.

    I am in no way sheltering my son, and I would love my son even if he was a fag. But at such an impressionable age I don't want confusing life issues to be implemented in his academic plan. There are more important things they need to be teaching to these developing minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what your saying Ashlie, I just look at it as... Okay so you tell them it's "silly" or they're "not suppose to do that"... But in the end it's as if you're giving them the idea that doing it is wrong. So how could you win in theory? It's either they grow up thinking "Boys can wear make up, nails, wigs, and girls clothes" ... "Dressing like a girl is wrong and mom and dad don't like it" ... Or you could just tell them it's a girl book.

    & I do strongly believe that there are "boys books" and "girls books". & Then today after Dominik informed his teacher that I have the book and I wasn't happy about it, she went and read him another copy of it telling him it's not a girls book and it's for boys and girls... Needless to say I am pretty irate about that.

    Don't take this the wrong way! But it seems like mom's of just girls say they'd allow their son to dress up and such, and mom's who have either just boys or a boy and a girl say it's beyond not allowed. I am all for dress up, there's no reason in the world that a little boy can't put on a police uniform, army uniform, ninja costume, etc. But when they start putting on polka dot dresses... That's when I'm gonna get pissed off.

    Kindergarten is not the time to have to explain to your child the differences in sexuality. I've seen may 2 episodes of Max and Ruby and I've heard of it by others. I'm not impressed with the story line at all. I can assure you if my daughter was dressing my younger son up to look like a girl in any way there would be a problem.

    Again, I have NOTHING wrong with homosexuality, nothing at all. I just feel very strongly about my son being exposed to things in school that I don't believe a child should be exposed to. & Then for a teacher to go against the parent... That's a whole other topic in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand what both of you said. but still disagree and think you guys are making it into something that its not. His little mind wouldn't even think that much into it for it to be a problem. He's only what? 5? I dont know, just don't think its as big as a deal as its being made out to be and I think by you making it a big deal and saying he can't read it its puts more focus on it to him. Otherwise, he probably would'nt have thought twice about what was going on in the book. He probably would of been more happy you sat down and read it to him. Just my opinion, I'm not here to judge, everyone raises their children differently so like I tell everyone, do what you feel is right for your child.

    ReplyDelete